If there was a pill that could reverse Rachael's disabilities, would I give it to her? My first response is: YES, give them to me now!!!!
On the second thought, would I really want to expose her sweet spirit to the ugliness of the world? Right now she doesn't comprehend evil, death, or even responsibility.
There is no pill available to reverse mental retardation...however, there may be one sooner than any of us realize. Would you give it to your child? Will I give it to my child?
I've been thinking about this lately because there IS a pill in the works that being studied at this very moment to treat Fragile X.
You can read the full article from the Deseret News here.
"We are moving into a new age of reversing intellectual disabilities." -Randy Hagerman, the MIND institute.
I'll do anything to improve my daughter's quality of life. Intelligence improves our quality of life, doesn't it? I struggle because in a way I do want to keep her from the harsh realities. I want to keep her sheltered and innocent and safe. I want her to be my little girl forever.
So, when this pill comes out will I give it to my little girl?
Maybe.
Sunday, February 7, 2010
Pill

Posted by
Kelli
at
8:21 PM
Labels: A day in the life of Rachael
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
wow. I guess i never thought out it like that. You're totally right though. hard choices. Ethan's autism is so much a part of who he is- and we love him for it... Would I guve him the pill- Maybe a pill that makes him able to learn how to dress himself by the time he's 12? (one can dream, right?) :)
Thanks for the article.
Kelli, I haven't visited your blog in quite some time. I love the tenderness in all of your posts. Your kids are all precious . . . thanks for sharing all the updates on your family members. I'm so glad Brian is employed. He must be very well respected by his employer. Kudos to you all! Love, Aunt Sue
Post a Comment